This guide provides ideas and inspirational resources for those who want to get involved with the Serum ecosystem.
Usefulness: What do users want? The links above ("How can we contribute?") offer popular ideas users have asked for.
Users: Your userbase will make or break your project, whether it's through word-of-mouth, marketing, partnerships, or other customer acquisition methods.
Check out Awesome Serum for a curated (unofficial) list of awesome things for people looking to build on Serum.
Certain projects may include SRM grants / bounties (with terms and conditions). To learn more:
It would be valuable for people to run Serum markets on testnet and stress test to break them.
Tasks to be done for this are:
- Manage DEX upgrades
- List markets with tokens
- Provide a faucet (for those tokens) that anyone can use to get and trade on the testnet DEX
- Provide a GUI for testnet DEX
- Run cranks on testnet DEX
A grant is included for this project.
It would be valuable to build a way to switch the Solana information model from polling to streaming to facilitate development of novel and more complex hybrid apps on Solana.
Regarding data feeds, the only current way to extract data from the blockchain right now is to poll a validator / RPC node. This is related to one of Serum's biggest problems: orderbook introspection and being notified as a maker when an order is matched. Implementing something akin to this would involve adding some functionality to the validator codebase.
In terms of architecture, the way a Solana validator currently works is by using a rocksdb instance for fast storage of state, and periodically committing transaction history to a Google BigTable instance. The idea for implementing this is to add some code to the rocksdb interface in order to intercept all calls to the database and stream out this information. A secondary server can then be used to process / filter / analyze / distribute this information as websocket streams. The implications of being able to do this are substantial.
A grant is included for this project.
There are lots of variants and customizability but here are some ideas:
- AMMs that trade on Serum’s markets
- AMMs with more than two components
- AMMs with easy to customize curves
If you build it to the below specs, it will receive a predetermined bounty instead of the variable one.
- Parameters must be reasonable
- Must be functional
- Must have pool tokens
- Must be open source
- Must be able to launch new AMMs with arbitrary SPL tokens
Building a basic borrow lending protocol where rates are determined by market participants using Serum’s order book rather than algorithmically.
Below is a list of GUI improvements that could be developed:
- A tool to validate GUIs against the source code
- Build support for on-chain triggered orders (stop losses, take profits) into Serum.
Fully on-chain encrypted chat app, directly integrated to Serum DEX GUI.
Build an instant messaging app on Solana with the following:
- The app would pass encrypted messages over the network
- The app would be fully on-chain
- Build a GUI for people to chat with each other
- The app could be directly integrated to Serum DEX GUI
Security audits of the following repositories:
An on-chain oracle that takes prices from Serum markets, does sophisticated risk and sanity checks on them, and creates a clean price feed that other projects working on Serum can use.
- Takes in arbitrary signals
- Can take from multiple sources
- Combines in a reasonable way
- Has reasonable error handling and outlier handling
- Writes on-chain
- Some way to charge people for querying it on-chain
- A built-in way to use Serum orderbooks as an oracle
Create a table where the mint of a token can submit a name for their token; create a table where a token controls governance of the naming. If you create this, EcoSerum will support the token’s adoption.
Note: This is submitted on behalf of EcoSerum, a Serum node. Serum Academy is involved in the development of Serum but has not been involved in the development of Sushi in any way.
- The Sushi community builds out support for Sushiswap on Solana
- Sushi rewards are paid to both Ethereum and Solana/Serum based Sushiswap
- Proportional to the TLV in each
- Or alternately fixed to each pool
- Open to other suggestions as well–what’s fair?
- The Sushi community composes this with the Serum orderbooks
- Each Sushi pool has a curve, currently constant-product
- The pool sends bids/offers into the associated Serum orderbook to simulate that curve
- This allows the Sushi AMM to share liquidity and volume with the orderbook
- There are maker rebates on Serum orderbooks that the AMMs would capture; they can also add on their own fees
- Sushi will also be able to compose with a borrow/lending protocol on Serum to allow the pools to trade on margin, though that’s not necessary for V1
- To clarify: Sushi would not be moving off of Ethereum in any way; this would be an addition, not a replacement.
- Upgrades that scale throughput and consistency for RPC nodes on the Solana network.
- Protocols that manage decentralised RPC services for Solana built applications.